Labor Day weekend brings forth plenty of grilling, drinking, and celebrating as we mark the end of summer. To add to your socially distant merrymaking menu, here is a flavor packed cupcake sure to bring you campfire/summer/starry night wonderment with every bite.
What’s the one dessert that basically screams summer? Yes, the French classic Mille-Feuille. Okay, probably not that, but that does sound delicious. However, S’mores are about as classic of a summer treat as they get. Almost everyone makes them at least once during the season and everyone has their own ritual (much like the age-old “what’s the proper way to eat an Oreo?”)
Summer in Albuquerque, especially our real estate market, has been hot. Non-stop action, deal making, and showings. I decided the best way to celebrate this end summer (not end of hot real estate market–so far this market is remaining piping HOT) was to make some S’mores with a surprising twist. That’s right, cupcakes! Okay, maybe not surprising, but damn delicious.
- Vanilla Cake Mix (I used Trader Joe’s Vanilla Bean mix, but any brand works)
- Graham Crackers
- 16 oz Pure Chocolate (level of darkness/sweetness is up to you. I used Trader Joe’s Pound Plus bar)
- 3 tbsp Butter
- ¼ c Milk
- Follow all the instructions for your boxed cake mix and set batter aside. Crush up 6 or so graham crackers and add them to the batter. Divide evenly into your cupcake pan and bake according to box instructions.
- Start on your ganache by chopping up chocolate (our pouring chocolate chips) into a microwave safe bowl. Add butter and milk. Heat until melted. Be sure to mix frequently. If the ganache appears to be too thick you can add more milk and/or butter.
- Once cupcakes are done baking and have cooled, scoop out a small amount from center (I used a ½ tsp spoon, but melon baller or similar tool will work).
- Fill with ganache. Frost with ganache. Eat leftover ganache and cupcake crumbs because you have no self-control.
- Crush more graham crackers and sprinkle on top of chocolate ganache frosting.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and place marshmallows in a pile to bake at 350 until puffy and brown. You can adjust based off of your oven’s temperament. Watch the marshmallows, so they don’t burn or over cook and get crunchy.
- Let cool briefly, maybe snap a cute pic, and top your cupcakes.
- EAT! Take pics for Instagram! EAT MORE!
- Store in an airtight container for a coupla days if you have any leftover.
There you have it! Quick, easy, and delicious cupcakes ready to bring the taste and joys of summer nights to you.
Need help buying or selling in the Albuquerque area? Want to talk real estate, cupcakes, food, beer, sci-fi, or basically anything? Reach out today!